The role of Development and Alumni Relations Team
The Development & Alumni Relations Team exists to support the University of Liverpool by maintaining contact with and providing services to students, alumni and supporters of the University. We do this by providing a range of academic, social and networking events and publications and providing services such as library and journal access and employment advice and skills for recent graduates. We fundraise in support of students, teaching, and research and capital projects.
In order to do this, we have a database that contains personal data collected by the University during the course of our relationship with our students, alumni, donors, supporters and Friends. The vast majority of the information we hold will have been obtained directly from our students and alumni; some of the data may also have been obtained from publicly available sources, e.g. we may find a new address for you by using the Post Office National Change of Address database (NCOA).
The University of Liverpool promises to respect any personal data you share with us and keep it safe. We are committed at every level to making sure that our communications with you are secure, considered and welcome. All personal data is held and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. We aim to be clear when we collect your data and not do anything you wouldn’t reasonably expect.
What personal data we collect and how we use it
Personal data held and processed by the Development & Alumni Relations Team may include:
- Biographical information including your name, gender and date of birth
- Your contact details and communication preferences
- Your education history
- Your professional activities and employment
- Your current interests and activities
- Information you have publicly shared on social media
- Your volunteering activity for the University including alumni volunteering
- Your family and partner/spousal details
- Your relationships with other University of Liverpool alumni, donors and friends
- Your donation history and wealth assessment information
- Records of communications and interactions we have had with you
- Your attendance at University events.
Please note that we do not collect or store any credit/debit card details in our database.
What we use your information for
The information you provide is used by the University to communicate with you for its marketing, promotional and fundraising purposes. These may include:
- Providing you with the services and information you asked for
- The promotion of benefits and services available to alumni
- Advertising and promotion of University of Liverpool alumni events and reunions
- Distribution of University mailings (e.g. Alumni magazines, newsletters, annual reports)
- University-related fundraising initiatives involving alumni
- Eliciting non-financial support (e.g. careers advice to students, help with student recruitment).
To ensure that our communications are relevant to you and your interests, we may use tools that help us track whether the emails we send are opened and which links are clicked within a message. We may also track website visits and use analytical tools, such as Google Analytics, to use this information to improve our website.
We utilise tools and resources to help us understand our alumni, donors and potential donors, gathering information from publicly available resources (e.g. the electoral register, press, charity register) to assess the capacity of these groups to support the University. This may include wealth screening. We undertake due diligence for donors in line with the University’s Gift Acceptance Policy and to meet money laundering regulations.
Keeping your information up to date
We continuously review records of alumni to ensure your data is as accurate as possible. We may therefore consult alternative publicly available sources in order to do so, e.g. Royal Mail address files, BT phone directories, reviewing job information that you have made available via LinkedIn or Facebook (as per their Privacy Policies), newspaper articles, company websites and other publicly available sources. We would really appreciate it if you could let us know when your contact details change.
Your right to make changes or ask us to stop using your data
You are in control of your data have the right to opt-out of all or specific communications types at any point. To change your preferences, please contact us via: email@example.com or complete our contact preferences update form at: www.liverpool.ac.uk/alumni/preferences.
Changes to the Policy
Development & Alumni Relations
14 March 2017